5 things to know for MineCraft modding to be not such a pain in the dick:
1) minecraft.jar can be opened like any archived file using winrar, winzip or something comparable.
2) Windows users can quickly find their AppData folder by going to Start->Run/Search->%AppData% . Â When people talk about your “MineCraft Folder” they areÂ referringÂ to the .minecraft folder inside AppData.
3) Unless specified, MineCraft mods just “happen.” Â There are no menus, buttons, or interfaces unless the mod indicates these things will be there like MrMMods simple map and SMchat.
4) Follow the forum links and READ everything or you are only setting yourself up for frustration.
5) Before you make ANY changes to your minecraft.jar you MUST back it up (make another copy of it) before you modify it. Â This is so when you messÂ it up you can easily start over without feeling helpless and destroying your MineCraft.
Charlotte your MineCraft Companion by KodaichiZero
This Mod blew my mind. Â I’ve spent so many hours in my MineCraft world alone and here comes a female and she talks! Follow the directions of the forum post and install theÂ dependencies required and she spawns when you open the game. Â She fights with you if you give her a sword and heals you when you are hurt. Â She is the ultimate support companion. Â You can also carry her on your shoulders.
Custom Capes by Telgar
This mod simply adds a cape to your avatar in MineCraft. Â People are pumping out new capes all the time over on the forums. Â I think they are up to 250+ over there. Â It is by far one of the easiest mods to install and also extremely fun to have. Â This mod will enable you to fight crime and impress Charlotte.
Major Craft Texture Pack by NMajor
This is a favorite of mine from all the texture packs out there. Â What we failed to mention in our last Give MineCraft a FaceLift post was that some texture packs are of a higher quality (64×64, 128×128 and even 256×256) and require a dependency called the HD texture fix by Xau to patch your MineCraft to use them. Â Of course this is mentioned in the forum post for the full details. Â Which you will of course READ right?!
Minecraft Mods v1.8 (BetterLight/Grass,SimpleMap,SMchat) by MrMessiahs
The problem with building my Castle (read: Fort Awesome) so far away from the spawn point was that when I thought I would never die I did. The running back as a big pain in the ass so I got clever and decided to build a tunnel system from the spawn point back to FortAwesome. If I had this minimap then it would have taken me a whole lot less time to work it out. This thing is great! Â The SMChat is activated when you push “tab” and you can issue a couple commands to the mini-map to turn it on or off.
Also contained in this pack is BetterLight which makes the lighting in the game a lot smoother and less block-like in itsÂ luminousness. Â It is also worth noting that this particular mod is a nice one with a “patcher” that you run. Â Read theÂ forum post for full instructions.
See my gallery below for examples of the mini-map and lighting in action.
Danny’s MineCraft Gallery
This is what my MineCraft world is like right now using all of the mods above. Â The boob shot is me looking up with Charlotte on my shoulders. Â They look fake and blocky but they FEEL REAL.
Below is a link to a pack of these mods and theirÂ dependenciesÂ that I made and used to get my MineCraft to look like it does above. Â In the Charlotte folder it is labeled in the order you should install them just as instructed in the forum post. Â The cape mod has my cape and The Albion folder (MajorCraft textures) includes the exe (Xau’s HD fixer) to patch your MineCraft. Â I can’t stress enough how important it is that you READ the instructions from the creators. Â I know it is boring and painful but it is worth your time.